Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fat Tuesday Fun

I've had a house full of company and for the last couple of days I've been under the weather with a cough and fever so this is the first chance I've had to post about our Mardi Gras. We had a blast on Fat Tuesday. Our crawfish costumes were a big hit and several people recognized me from my picture in the paper last week.

We got to town early and had a quick breakfast of beignets and walked around taking in the sights and having a good laugh with all the other costumers. Lots of people took our picture. We had a nice lunch, where Devra ordered "herself" (a crawfish dish). We ran into one of my neighbors, then we threw beads from a balcony to the swelling crowd below for a while, and had a great time.

We saw so many fun costumes that I couldn't even begin to describe them all. One of my favorite one was the big group of people dressed as giant maggots from their fridge. They were hysterical. I have a lot of pictures that I will get uploaded eventually when I get a few spare minutes. There were Katrina related costumes and regular whimsical costumes. Everybody was having fun.

The mood was just like it always is at Mardi Gras - fun and uplifting. People just felt glad to be there. Some people don't understand how we could celebrate like this considering what's happened, but I think the people of New Orleans needed this more than ever.

It felt good to be a part of it.

3 comments:

Devra said...

This is what hurricane relief looks like, "Devra Style". My favorite costume was the guy dressed as the Yellow Brick Road and all of his friends dressed up as the other Wizard of Oz charactors who were following him in a straight line. (or given this is New Orleans, I should maybe just say "in a line".)

Laurel said...

I also loved the "ladies" dressed as the "Ho Depot" girls. LOL

Anonymous said...

what great costumes!! You never cease to amaze me with what you come up with...looks like you guys had a great time...thanks for sharing with all of us!!

I had a big baby shower for my son & Daughter in law last weekend... I slipped a note in one gift recommending your website to her...5 weeks to go!!
My best to you...Jimmie