Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tired

It's been a while since I've written. My interest in the topic of recovering from Hurricane Katrina is really starting to wane. I'm just plain sick of it. My own little world and neighborhood seems like a bubble of normalcy, but all around me is misery, despair, frustration and drudgery, and everyone here is suffering from post-traumatic stress. It's getting to be just plain exhausting.

It's also hard to find anything fun to do around here anymore. Both of Slidell's movie theaters are still closed, so we have to drive a long way to get to a theater. Going out to dinner is a huge pain in the you-know-what because it's so crowded that you have to wait forever. Mardi Gras was really fun, but now what are we supposed to do for the rest of the year?

I just got back from a trip to California this weekend for a family reunion / party for my Aunt's 70th birthday. It was SO nice to be somewhere "normal". And yes, saying that California is "normal" might be a stretch for some people, but it was at the very least - functional.

Changes for our family may be coming. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: