Saturday, April 01, 2006

Lost and Found

In the chaos following Mardi Gras at my house when the carpet installers showed up to replace our carpet, my friend Devra's jewelry was moved and her beloved necklace charm was lost. Today it was found by my youngest daughter - over a month after it first went missing. I still can't explain how it showed up, but I think it was trapped in a pile of my daughter's dolls and purses hanging on a tiny kid-sized chair.


This morning I had the weirdest experience in the Red Cross CPR class I had to take in order to run my Girl Scout troops. One of the women in the class would not SHUT UP. The instructor finally told her to be quiet and let him teach, and stop asking so many stupid questions. Later she got completely hostile when another person in the class tried to help her understand, and there was almost an altercation. Then during our break, the Red Cross volunteer CPR instructor began ranting and ranting about how horrible the New Orleans chapter of Red Cross is, and how they should have their charter pulled. Pretty soon everyone in the room had to share their opinions about what is wrong with the levees.

Then I drove home past all the apartment buildings with escape holes chopped through the attic and with the roof still bearing with the word "HELP" in large lettering. I watched for alligators on the freeway where the buzzards were circling above (a common sight even in pre-katrina).

And when I arrived home after lunch, I was on guard in case my kids had plotted an April Fool's prank for me while I was gone. I got them really good a couple of years ago when they got up for school on April Fool's Day to discover that I switched all their underwear in each other's dresser drawers. Now I have to watch my back. They played a few pranks on each other, but it's nearly Midnight and nothing happened to me yet, so I think I'm off the hook. I should have tried to get them again this year.

Maybe I have lost my sense of humor. Perhaps it will turn up just like the missing bee charm, and the re-opened movie theater. Note to self: Think of a fun prank to play on my kids next year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurel...you sound a little more up today than you did Wednesday...I'm sure it gets REALLY depressing especially when you can't get away from it..the rest of the country has gone on about their business and seems to think New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast is back to normal...NOT...hang in there my friend..
On a personal note Madison Diane was born Wednesday 3-29 about 3 weeks early but healthy and beautiful..a great pre Easter present for all of us..
Take care and stay in touch with all of us...your blog fans!!
Your faithful reader..Jimmie

Laurel said...

Congratulations Jimmie!!

Devra said...

Yay my bee charm is back! I am soooo happy! So does this mean it was charma?

Laurel said...

Perhaps your charma is back along with your bee!