Friday, January 06, 2006

Moldy Memories

This just breaks my heart! It's a photo album (one of many) that belongs to the family of one of my Girl Scout troop members. It is full of baby photos! I cannot imagine having every baby photo I owned damaged like this. All the negatives are the same story. The album is dry now, but it reeks of mold, and about half the pictures are destroyed. Every picture is damaged to some degree, but you can still make out the image in the center of a lot of them.

Our older troop members are going to try to help restore it (and some others from more families in our troop whose photos were also damaged). Removing the photos from the album will only damage them more, so we'll have to make the copies right through the plastic. The plan is to make digital copies of the photos that still have an image and order new prints, and put them in a new album. I'll be experimenting with it this week before we let the girls in on the project.

No comments: