Wednesday, February 01, 2006

5 Months Since

Well, it's been five months since You Know What. I drove through a neighborhood in Slidell called Kingspoint, about two miles from my house closer to the lake, on my way home from running some errands today just so I could see the progress those folks are making there. It's easy to pretend I'm in a little bubble here in my own neighborhood where at least half of the folks have finished all the repairs on their homes. But outside the bubble, the flooded neighborhoods are a whole other horrible thing.

My heart just breaks for those who are there still struggling with their insurance companies to get money for repairs, and struggling to find contractors to do the repairs, and just plain struggling to put back the pieces of their lives. Almost every home in the neighborhood had a travel trailer parked outside for temporary living. Some of the debris was picked up, but there is a lot more from homes that are still being gutted.

It is going to be a long long time before things are even close to normal for those families whose homes flooded. I took this photo today on my drive to give you some idea: Click the photo to get a bigger more detailed image.

I hope that by publishing pictures like this that it will show the rest of America that we have a long way to go to recover, and will remind everyone to please don't forget us!

No comments: