Friday, February 24, 2006

Costume Preview

The New Orleans newspaper, the Times-Picayune, asked readers to let them preview their costumes this year, so just for fun I emailed a picture of the whimsical creation that my friend Devra and I have planned. The paper called Thursday afternoon to ask if I could come join the photo shoot for the story they were doing. I couldn't resist.

This morning they ran the story about "fabulous and snarky post-K Mardi Gras costumes". The article is in the Lagniappe section of the paper titled, Grand Delusions.

The first paragraph of the story is particularly hilarious, and just so you know, I am the "crawfish lady" that is mentioned. At least, I assume I am the crawfish lady, since no one else at the photo shoot was crawling with rubber crawfish. The description of that scene in the cafeteria was definitely surreal as it is described. I especially like the first part that says, "Queen Elizabeth carefully applied his makeup".

Each paragraph describes our costumes and includes a photo, although the photos are not on the newspaper's website, so I have posted a copy here. My only dissapointment is that my photo is on the second page of the article which was not in color since color is a big part of our crawfish illusion. I am very pleased with the overall article though. Our spirit definitely shines. And my experience of getting together with other costumers who look forward to the fun and painstakingly plan their attire for the event is a memory I will cherish.

As we all left the photo shoot at the Times-Picayune to head home, we remarked to each other, "See you on Tuesday!" (in the streets at Mardi Gras).

And finally, here's Great site for photos of people in Mardi Gras costumes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, THAT'S IT! I refuse to miss seeing you dressed like that. We'll be there Sunday afternoon!!!
I wish! :)
Miss you guys.

_j

Anonymous said...

You are unbelieveable, and soooo talented...GREAT COSTUME...We love love love crawfish but I never thought of wearing them!!!
I hope you have a wonderful Mardi Gras..it certainly looks like you will...best to you...Jimmie

Anonymous said...

Son of a gun we'll have good fun on the bayou!

I was sad to miss the photo shoot, but it looks like you did an awesome job of representing the both of us!

Devra said...

Jason,
I can put on my costume and be at your house in about 10 min.

Laurel said...

Actually, Devra, I believe the "Jason" that left those comments is my brother-in-law who lives in Nashville, not my brother who lives near you! But go ahead call my brother and ask him if he'd like you to show up in costume anyway. hee hee....

Devra said...

I have to call first? Why can't I just go over there?