Monday, February 13, 2006

Carnival Time

The parades started this past weekend. Have I mentioned that I LOVE Mardi Gras parades? I attended a wickedly sarcastic French Quarter walking parade on Saturday night called Krewe de Vieux . Their parade theme this year was "C'est Levee" and there was a plethora of katrina related costumes including this one with a group of women in their haz mat suits proclaiming in Olympic spirit that they are "Going for the mold!" There were quite a few others that were so funny they had me roaring, but my camera batteries died and I was having too much fun to take pictures anyway.

Sunday we took the kids to a nice family parade in Slidell for the Krewe of Perseus. Their theme also involved recovery efforts and was lots of fun for the kids. Here's a photo of some "Blue Roofers". My friend Devra is coming in two weeks for Fat Tuesday. We have our costumes planned and we are going to take the kids to several more parades.


One sobering note: As I drove home Saturday night through New Orleans, I passed through an area of town that still has no power, no one living there, no life of any kind. House after house after house in complete darkness and completely deserted while they just sit decaying. I must have driven past houses for two miles before I saw life again and could find my way back to the interstate. The whole thing was rather apocalyptic.

No comments: