Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"Before" photo


Here's the "before" photo I took just before we left our house. Notice the lovely plywood covering the windows. We didn't put any on the second floor. The danger of hauling wood up there and trying to install it was not worth the risk. The risk outweighed the benefit in our opinion. I hope we were right.

That's our minivan in the driveway being loaded a few items. It still has the car-top carrier on it that I used for the camping trip. We threw a few of our things up there as well, but we didn't have much.

Car Inventory:
1 bag for each person with enough clothing for a week
2 coolers full of food from the fridge, drinks for the road, water, and a few frozen items
1 box photo albums
3 pillows
1 large dog crate
1 small dog kennel
1 box of dry goods (peanut butter, bread, cereal, pretzels)
1 bag of important papers and files
2 dogs
3 kids

Hubby drove his car, and I drove the van.

I hope the "after" photo isn't too horrifying. I can only pray. There is very little information on TV right now about Slidell. The eye of the storm passed right over it, and so far all we have is news that half the town is under water. I am just hoping that my house is on the other half. It's very frustrating not knowing what we have to go back to, or knowing when we can even go back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,La --- You and your family have been in my prayers, as well as the rest of those affected. I am glad to hear you're safe, albeit worried about the unknown. The girls and I did a special rosary before bed just now, as prayer seems like the only thing we are capable of doing in response at this time. God bless, Nora

Anonymous said...

Wow Laurel, I can't imagine having to do what you and your family are doing. We live in NC so the hurricane threat exists here as well. I guess I should be more serious about locating the important stuff in case of an evac. Hopefully you can find out soon about your neighborhood and your home. In the mean time it's good to know that you are with family. I haven't been watching the news (I think we've discussed that before ;) ) but we have been praying.

Jennifer Davis
Of the TWD Sisterhood

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurel it's your old DG sis Laurie - we are still living outside of Nashville. Want to see you if we can. Come stay a while - we've got good schools! Mom moved out of Slidell about two years ago - over to NC - one Hurricane alley for another. We are heading to Cordova this weekend to see the other folks! Call me - we're listed.

Anonymous said...

Laura, or anyone...could you tell me what has become of Picayune just north of Slidell, Mississippi?
I am trying to get damage information about that town there.
Thankyou anyone who can fill me in,
Layna
Vancouver, Canada.