Tuesday, August 30, 2005

So Tired of Watching News on TV

We've been glued to the tv since early yesterday morning flipping from CNN, MSNBC, Fox and the Weather Channel. We've been desperately searching for information on Slidell. The left eyewall of the storm passed right over it and there has been very little information. If I see one more image of the roof of the Superdome, I'm going to scream. The destruction is horrible in New Orleans today with regard to all the flooding. The only thing I can find out about my little town of Slidell is that it is mostly under water too. I had to get that info from some message boards on the news websites where people have been posting. Most of the posters are very frustrated with the lack of coverage in Slidell and are trying to find information. We went all day yesterday with nothing to go on. I imagine that I'm like most other storm refugees who fled far away and cannot get any local tv coverage. The national news is not what we need.

This afternoon they finally had a little coverage from Slidell. It doesn't look good. A lot of it is flooded just like New Orleans. But the good news is that some of Slidell is not under water. I am hoping my home is in that part.

I don't know what difference it makes at this point. No matter what the condition of my home is, this is going to be a pretty horrible place to live for a long time. They've declared martial law in New Orleans and the looting is starting to get out of control. I just saw a report that evacuees who are returning to the city are having their cars hijacked and stolen at gunpoint. Nice. Really effing nice.


I do have news that the I-10 bridge that hubby takes to work every day into town has been completely destroyed. I saw the footage and it looks like an earthquake displaced the whole thing. It's a 5 mile long bridge over the right edge of Lake Ponchartrain where the lake connects to the ocean. I saw some video footage of the bridge, and it's not just one part of it that is damaged. The entire thing looks like this.

And here's some news where he works at Tulane University.

So, we don't seem to have much info. What little we do have basically indicates that it's going to be a long time before we can return home, and even longer before we can feel "normal" again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in Okinawa, Japan and I am tired of watching the same scenes over. I too would like to see more info on surrounding areas. I have family, friends and extended relatives in Slidell, Pearl River, and Bogalusa. It is frustrating not knowing if they are safe.

Anonymous said...

I kept thinking how sparse the news coverage was about this hurricane. But, then, I realize that it just may be impossible to get to some places. I heard that one of the major networks lost a satellite truck. One of the NO television stations started a blog because the water kept rising in the building and eventually forced them out. It's just crazy.

I hope they're able to get more and more information out, and I hope they keep rescuing people. It's amazing to see the Coast Guard save people from the rooftops. Bless them and thank goodness we have people like that.

Hang in there ... I'll let you know if I run across anymore news.

Becky/TWD