Tuesday, August 30, 2005

We are Refugees

So basically, we're refugees. We have nowhere to live at the moment and will probably spend the next month shuffeling from relative to relative.

My sister sent the following email to my family this afternoon:
Laurel and family are here safe in Nashville with me. You can call them here at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I will however tell you that worries are high and emotions are fragile. The news had said that their town was hit head on by the bull's eye of Katrina and is destroyed. Due to the damage to the roads TV crews can not even make it in there yet. They are planning on staying here with me for at least a week at this time. The only news we've been able to confirm about their town is that parts of it are completely under water and that the gas station near their house exploded. Right now they have headed out to buy supplies for when we make the trip back down.

The bridge that Hubby used to cross the lake to get to work was completely wiped out and now the levee has broken and New Orleans is being flooded at this moment by the Lake. (sorry this is so scattered) So please call tonight if you want. I know they need to here that you love them and aee thinking about them.


My other sister lives here in Nashville too. She came over this afternoon with my little 5 year old nephew and made some dinner for us, while I had a nervous breakdown and sobbed all over the phone to various relatives who called me. Not knowing if I even have a home to go back to is not an easy place to be.

I have the best family in the world. I had cousins, aunts, uncles and of course all our parents and siblings offering to help do anything they can for us. Everyone is offering help. We're so lucky. I am starting to feel very sorry for all the folks in the path of the storm who had no where to go. Many of them didn't evacuate because of that, and some of them didn't make it. In fact, a lot of folks didn't. The death toll keeps climbing and here I sit in comfort and safety, whining about not knowing the condition of my home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you . . . . Again, kids welcome here . . . . I worry that they don't know us and might be fearful away from you and the DH. But you know you are welcome. Tom's mom also said that they have a guest room. Kathy can take you in too . . . she's in the phone book or call me for her #. Her Mom lives in Belle Meade and may have plenty of room . . . .she also travels a lot so maybe you could help her out by "house sitting."

Still praying for you guys,
Carol & the brood

Anonymous said...

Laurel, You are welcome to come to Indiana if you would like! We have a room for you and you can stay as long as you like. You can a bed, pullout couch and private bathroom. Feel free to come! Call me B~

Anonymous said...

La, I can't even imagine how hard being a refugee is. I see the news and try to imagine all of this happening to my town, and how devastating it would be and I just can't even fathom it. But I am sooooo glad you all are safe. That is all that matters in the end. You are more than welcome to come stay with me in Hotlanta.
Please know you and your family are in my prayers.
kel