Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Coming, Going and Blowing

My friend Jeannie and her family got here last night. They stopped by their house before they came over so Jeannie could see their house for the first time. All the sheetrock has been cut out a couple of feet above the floor and all the carpet has been ripped out. She took it really well, all things considered.

This morning they took their kids for a little drive around town to tour some of the damage. We told them to head over to the Eden Isles neighborhood to really get an eyefull of destruction. They are probably over there right now.

On Sunday, the garbage haulers came back and finished the job! They also managed to clean up Jeannie's neighborhood as well. They had a lot more debris than we did because of the flooding.

In the last couple of days we've had to bundle up and actually wear jackets since a cool breeze blew in from up north. Yes, I guess winter really is on the way. I know the rest of you have been having cool weather for some time now. It's been all the way down in the 50's here! I guess I'm spoiled by my shorts-wearing-weather 10 months of the year. Brrrrrrr!!! ;-)

The wind has been blowing hard the last couple of days and the plastic covering the gaping hole in next door neighbor's house has been ripping and flapping so loud that I thought it was thunder the first night. Here's a picture.

My neighbor across the street (with the renters who have the infamous huge pile of debris that they brought over here from New Orleans) finally got his official job transferred to Birmingham and told me this morning that they will be putting their house up for sale now. They will give their renters the option to buy it first, he said. A house diagonally behind us just sold and they were having an inspection done this morning. There are a lot of homes changing hands around here right now. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I will miss having my neighbor's daughter Jessica across the street. She was one of my kids' favorite babysitters!! I guess she would have gone off to college next year anyway.

We're almost done fixing our siding. Hubby installed the rest of the soffet and I was finally able to locate and purchase a roll of the metal sheeting we need for the trim (fascia). I had to drive a ways to get it. I also located a place to rent the big tool we need to bend it correctly -- it's called a "metal break". We should be tackling this home repair project next weekend since we'll be busy this weekend with our Halloween stuff and Hubby will be out of town the rest of this week.

No comments: