Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Da Prez

This is a picture of my next door neighbor Donnie with da Prez taken last month (by White House staff I think). Donnie works in the Folgers coffee plant in New Orleans where Dubya made one of his first visits to the area after the storm. Donnie was back at work pretty early after the disaster, and Dubya took a break from talking to the press for a few minutes and walked over and introduced himself to Donnie while he was working. You can see a can of Folgers coffee in Dubya's other hand in the pic.

All politics aside, it sure is cool to see someone you know with the POTUS (President of the United States). The photo is a little faded because it is a picture of a hard copy photo (my scanner is on the blink). Interestingly (or not), Dubya is a relative of mine on my father's side. We both have a common ancestor, John Howland, who came over on the Mayflower. Technically, Dubya is my 9th cousin 4 times removed, and 9th cousin 3 times removed to his dad, Big George. This makes my kids 10th cousins to the presidents. Not that anyone cares. I don't really care either unless it gets us invited to the White House for Thanksgiving dinner.

For all of my Democratic relatives who are probably reading this, I will also include another photo of W just to make sure they don't disown me for posting that first picture. Here's a photo I got from a friend that had the caption, "Why help never arrived." (feel free to chuckle)

About the same time Donnie was meeting W, my aunt and uncle and two cousins were fishing in Alaska on a boat with Hillary and Sen. McCain. I'll gladly post a photo of that too, even though the fishing trip was not related to the hurricane disaster. Perhaps I could start a new blog entitled, "photos of people I know with people everyone knows".

And speaking of Dubya stuff, here is a not-to-be-missed article by my favorite local columnist from yesterday's paper titled, "The Uptown Fridge Wars" where he talks about how Uptown New Orleans residents are using the "weapons of our mass destruction", in their quest for normalcy in the face of disaster. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow,cousins... I am really impressed..George and Barbara live here in Houston so we think they belong to us! LOL..I also have a English Springer Spaniel like Millie,so that makes them special to me ..Barbara has been seen frequently grocery shopping with a trail of people trying to "descreetly" follow her up and down the aisles...looks like a parade in the grocery store!