Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I'll Be In That Number

There has been some local controversy over whether it is appropriate to hold Mardi Gras this year given all that has happened. Half the city is still in darkness and so many people are unable to come home. But more than ever before we need it. Yesterday my favorite local columnist, Chris Rose, published a column that has everyone talking. From the respons in today's editorials, apparently many people share his sentiments. Here are some snippets from his column:

"... we can't turn off the lights and keep the costumes in storage and ladders in the shed for another year just because we are beaten and broken and because so many of us are not here.

In fact, we have to do this because we are beaten and broken and so many of us are not here."

and

"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods and our joy of living. All at once.

And it doesn't really matter if there are superparades or even any parades at all this year. Because some group of horn players will grab their instruments and they will march Down the Avenue because that's what they do, and I, for one, will follow."

Read the entire thing at the Times Picayune in We're Having Mardi Gras and That's Final.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurel,
I have been following your blog since Katrina. I curiously looked for info. on the web for a way that my family could help the people of your area and happened upon your site. I have been addicted since reading the first post. My family prays for the people of your area and we pray for your family:mom, dad, kids,and yes, even the dog with the bad eye. You have been an inspiration for those of us standing on the outside reading your blog. Your girls will grow up and be strong women after seeing their mother's courage through the trying times. I have not always agreed with all your thoughts;(I am a die hard President Bush fan and conservative)nonetheless, I wanted to tell you I hope you do celebrate life and that your city and the people will continue to flourish. I pray your family has a blessed Christmas holiday, and that God's favor would be abundant in your home.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Laurel said...

Hi Charlotte, Thank you so much for your message, and for all your prayers for our family and for others in our area. It means more than you know.

Laurel