Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Recap

We had a very nice Christmas and a fun visit with my parents who were very happy to spend Christmas with their three grandchildren here. Mom and I had some fun shopping together. The stores were packed. After Christmas, Hubby and my dad played a round of golf, and I gave Mom the "Tour of Mass Destruction" that she requested. I started by taking her to see my friend's gutted house, drove by the cemetery (the tombs in the ditch had been picked up, but two were still toppled ontop other tombs), then drove through the flooded neighborhoods closer to the lake that had flooded about 8-9 feet deep. We finished the tour with a stop at my next door neighbor's FEMA trailer. Mom also wanted to see what an MRE was like, but we were going to send one with them for their drive up to Tennessee to visit my sisters! Oh well, they will still be good the next time they visit.

By the way, Happy Birthday to both of my sisters today!! (yes, they are twins)


Here is a very cute Christmas card from a co-worker of Hubby's that I had to share. It's a photo card of the couple in front of their New Orleans house next do their debris pile, complete with their stinky fridge. Very cute. and as usual, click the picture to see an enlarged version.

4 comments:

Lake Fred said...

I appreciate your blog site. I especially appreciate your photos and the aerial photos link. From the link, I looked at my Kenner home from above, but the flood waters were receded when the photos were taken. I next looked at my daughter's school (Mt. Carmel) in Lakeview in the flood water. I scrolled along to check out favorite restarants on the lake (Sid Mars & Jaegers) only to find they were gone. Katrina really messed us up.

Laurel said...

Hi LakeFred, I'm so sorry about your Kenner home and your daughter's school and your favorite restaurants. Yes, Katrina really messed things up. A lot of things will never be the same -- but a lot of other things are being repaired and may even be better. It's a new year and a chance to start again. It's just going to take some time and persistance and hard work.

Lake Fred said...

We fared better than most. We had minimal water in our house that the insurance adjuster feels was windblown rain under the doors in the two rooms that got wet. We had about a foot of flood water in our detached garage. Our neighborhood was hit or miss as to floodwater in homes as we saw sheetrock outside in front of some houses and not others. The wind damage seemed worse in our area than in areas closer to the river with lots of trees and branches down. Some roofs have been repaired, so the blue tarps are less numerous. Trash pickup has improved, but not back to normal. Lots of stores have yet to reopen. Some look closed for good. FEMA trailers are now popping up in the neighborhood. All in all, we were luckier than most...now if only my job would return to the CBD from Houston.

Anonymous said...

I just returned from christmas in metairie. My heart is breaking; my thoughts and prayers are with you all. May 2006 bring brighter days!!