Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Bailey's Moment

I feel like I'm George Bailey on New Year's Eve when all his friends came to help him. This is pretty funny considering hubby is always joking about my non-existant virtual friends. I'm referring to my group of Internet friends that I've been corresponding with via email since 1996. Some of them I have still never met in real life, but many of them I have welcomed to my home in Slidell, taken to Mardi Gras parades, or met for lunch when our paths crossed in other cities.

We got some care packages in the mail yesterday from some of them that made our day. Except for what has come in the mail, the kids have not had any other toys for the entire time we have been here which is about 13 days today. The shrieks from the girls at the sight of the Barbies could probably be heard around the county. We also got some grocery and Walmart gift cards and other envelopes full of generosity from friends and beloved family as well.

I feel a little unworthy accepting it all though, because so many people have lost so much compared to us. So if it gets to be too much, I am going to pass it along to some of my elderly neighbors and friends who need the help too. I hope you don't mind. Thank you with all my heart.

The kids have organized their goodies into different boxes - one for school supplies, one for toys, one for fun snacks, and one for kids books. They have been really good about doing their school assignments and staying on task until their work is completed for the day. I'm really proud of them.

And speaking of "Bailey's", my Internet friend Barb sent me a whole bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme, and I wasted no time cracking that puppy open. I think Sis needed it as much as I did. I'm sure most folks would agree that taking 5 people and two dogs into your 1100 sf home overnight when you only have one bathroom is quite a Bailey's occasion, indeed.

So, to my friends and family again I say thank you. You are the best support system a girl could ever have. Thank you for all your cards, letters, email messages, blog comments, phone calls, emotional support, offers for lodging, gifts, and everything else too. I cannot thank you enough.

I'll end this with my favorite quote from It's a Wonderful Life:
"No man is a failure who has friends."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laurel,
I am a teacher in California with family in Slidell. My school would like to adopt your city in a funraising effort. Can you direct me to maybe an elementary school or a retirement home etc. that would be open to receiving cards, letters, and donations from the hearts of our little ones and our community ? Thank you! Kelly korkneuman@gtcinternet.com

Anonymous said...

I misspelled fundraising...sorry..and I am a teacher!

Anonymous said...

In terms of "friendship" I can only say our prayers and thoughts are all with you and your entire community. I am a firefighter in California and my department was able to send personnel to Katrina's devastated area. They are a contingent of 1000 2-person teams. Their role is uncertain at this time. My spouse was also deployed by The Red Cross for a 3 week period to the town of Slidell. She has conveyed to me that she is assisting with hot food distribution "meals on wheels" to the community. As a fire department we are continuing to accept donations, money and food, to help in anyway hoping these items are put to good use. Stay strong.

Laurel said...

Thank you for your kind words, Larry. I continue to be overwhelmed with the generocity of others.

Kelly, The school system in our area is really working to get things back online soon (St. Tammany Parish Schools). From the letter on their website, they have been getting many offers for assistance and concern and are grateful for whatever you might want to do. Their website is http://www.stpsb.org/

The New Orleans public school system is also going to need a lot of help once they are ready to get going again. They were already the nation's most challenged school districts and have even great hurdles because of the disaster. So, keep them in mind for down the road too.

Thank you everyone.

Devra said...

Laurel,
It is easy for all of us to do things for you. Laurel is one of the most loveable people in the entire world. If you look up "fun" in the dictionary, it's gotta have Laurel in the definition! I hope Slidell springs back so we can come down eat cheeseballs, go to the drive thru daiquiri place and take our traditional pics with the boyz n beads (as well as the shots with da girlz too!)
Dev