Thursday, September 08, 2005

Power but no Safe Water

Power is back on in my neighborhood according to my next door neighbor. Unbelievable. It only took 10 days.

I got this from a friend who lives one street over:
We were in MeadowLake Monday and Tuesday and affirm how lucky we all are to have escaped the aftermath of others in Slidell. Our house had the missing roof cap and water damage to walls and flooring, missing shingles and a broken fence.

We stayed in our house and "roughed it" but left for my sister's house until conditions are better. There is water trickles for showers, but officials caution against bathing in it with any open skin, or brushing teeth with it.

I just heard from two other neighbors who are planning to return this weekend. They are going to stock up on supplies before returning. I think we'll wait and see if the gas situation is improving first so we don't get stuck. I do not want to haul gasoline in the car with my children all that way. Plus, we'd need an awful lot of gas for both cars. There is still a shortage of food, drinkable water, and supplies of every kind. Many people are starting to head back now, but the St. Tammany officials would prefer if we stayed away to keep the streets clear and not use limited resources in order to make their jobs easier regarding restoring services.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you in this time of crisis. I've been following your saga since last week, via this blog, and I'm gaining more insight into the nature of this disaster (or at least a different kind of insight) than I ever could following CNN or the regular media outlets.

I am a college student and I would like to interview you for a Hurricane Katrina piece I am writing for my feature writing class. If you're interested please e-mail me at : vbarr004@hotmail.com