Friday, September 02, 2005

A Nice Diversion

An article in the Nashville paper today listed several of the attractions around town who have opened their doors to Katrina Refugees. So, hubby and I took the kids and spent three glorious hours in The Adventure Science Museum today. The kids were elated to have something fun and exciting to do. One of their favorite parts was called "Down the Hatch"
This series of interactive exhibits follow the path of food through your body from Feed Me, where you toss "food" into a giant mouth, then manipulate its course through the mouth into the esophagus, down to the stomach, and finally through the intestines and out the body. Take a ride down the colorectal slide!
Yes, they literally rode down a poop chute. What could be better than that?


The current thought of the day is that I am probably going to start homeschooling the kids myself starting next week. I'm going to go down to the school book depository in town to get some text books. I used to be a real live school teacher in my pre-child life, so I know I can do this. The idea of putting them in a strange school at the moment just seems like a lot more stress for the kids for no real benefit.

Besides, they are in accelerated classes and are already a grade level ahead of where they normally would be, so even if they missed an entire year of school, they would still not be behind. I just need to stop worrying so much. They do need to keep their skills up though. I talked with my good friend Jeannie today, who has home-schooled her kids for years, and have a good idea of what I need to do. I'll let you all know how it goes. If it turns out to be a really bad thing, we can always enroll in a regular school later. Please save all the, "I told you so's" if that happens. ;-)

We've started a big list of items to get from the house when we go back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you so much for your site. My husband's parents live off of Garden Drive in Bayou Liberty. They evacuated to Arkansas on Sunday morning. We have sent them information on your site, and they are so thankful.

If anyone has information on the houses on Garden Drive in Bayou Liberty. Please contact us!
korkneuman@gtcinternet.com