Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Military Families

My good friend has had a very hard week. Harder than mine. Her husband is in the military and they live(d) in a neighborhood near mine. Like many others, he evacuated his family, and then immediately reported to work to help disaster victims. My friend saw her husband a total of 6 hours that whole first week, because he was there helping people and was there from day one (Sunday before the storm came on Monday).

The shrieking accusations that nothing was being done have been really hard on her and the other military wives that are holed up in a hotel with her. Their husbands have been out there helping since before the levees broke and all hell broke loose. Everywhere she goes, all she hears is what a crappy job her husband and every other first responder have done. Her kids are beginning to feel the pressure of all of this. They were at the store one day last week and heard someone hollering that that nothing was getting done, and that "OBVIOUSLY the military and everybody are incompetent". Her 11 year old daughter stood there in shock and then replied, "NO THEY'RE NOT. MY DAD'S NOT. He is doing something. We haven't seen him for 4 days because he's helping somebody else."

Meanwhile, the homes of many of the military families in the area have been destroyed or completely emptied by looters while they were away trying to help people.

I don't want this to become a big political blog, so all I'm asking is that people please try to have some compassion for our military members and watch what you say around their families. I love my friend with all my heart and I'm so sorry that she has had to deal with this disaster in this way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A-MEN

luv you . . . .email me privately with sis's address.

Carol

Laurel said...

Carol! Email me at my regular email address. I can't email you 'cause I don't have your address with me! --La

Anonymous said...

Just watching the news tells me that both the National Guard and the regular Armed Services are doing an incredible job. Not to worry the rest of the country knows it to. There is just a huge amount of frustation now and under these circumstances I can understand a regretable outburst. My thoughts and prayers are with you and everybody on the Gulf Coast. take care.

Philip

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for all of you. I live in Eastern NC and we felt a little of what you are dealing with when Fran got us a few years ago.

My heart goes out to the children and spouses of the military men and women who are putting themselves in grave danger to help their fellow Americans. God Bless them!

If you know of a way we can help those families, through direct contributions to a specific military base, will you let us know? There are a lot of folks out here reading what you are writing... keep up the great work and keep us posted about the progress down there.

You are in all our hearts and prayers.

ECU Alum

Devra said...

I think the Navy and Coast Guard in New Orleans is going to be in bad shape. As well as reservists who just returned from Iraq and found out they have no homes to return to. My husband, active duty Air Force, said it's gotta be very tough for these troops who dreamed of what it would be like to be "home" during their deployment. It's really awful! If you have a military installation near you, contact the "Family Support" center. They will be able to direct you to any bases that are taking donations. Actually all bases take donations anyway because so many of our soldiers are living under the poverty line, even with benefits from the military many qualify for foodstamps!