Sunday, September 04, 2005

Not Everyone Is So Lucky

I know most of us are just happy to have escaped with our lives, and the coming days and weeks will show how many did not, as the dead are finally gathered. Obviously losing property isn't the worst thing that can happen, but it is a huge pain in the ass. At least we have a house. It is unusable at the moment, but it's there waiting. Not everyone has something to go back to. I got an email from a member of my church group regarding her neighborhood:
My husband and I drove in yesterday since our neighbors got in touch with us. Our neighborhood took a beating. Our bottom floor was hit with water. The water mark is up to 14 ft. Everything downstairs is destroyed. Our roof has some leaks now and will need to have a temporary fix because it already leaks into the second story. The second story otherwise was fine.

Our neighborhood is filled with sludge, marsh grass and still a bit of water. We couldn't drive into our house but had to park a few blocks away and trudge through the muck. There were snakes everywhere. It doesn't look like our neighborhood will be up and running any time soon.


Spirits are holding up though. Thank goodness they evacuated. It's only stuff.

Another member of my church group sent this report after visiting Slidell today. She sounded very hopeful about all of it:
I was totally unprepared for the amount of damage that the city took. Our Sonic restaurant on Gause by the church is totally trashed every menu board is blown out. Some businesses looked great and others looked damaged. In general there are just trees everywhere and no power at our house either. we did have some neighbors living in thier houses. Dr. Fausts office is opened and they have the pets there. They are living there because their house was flooded. If you have pets there they are safe and they will be there when you can get back.

My over all impression of Slidell was one of survival. I spoke to neighbors that I have never spoken to. I saw so many people helping other people. I know I talk a lot about missing home in California but today I am proud to be from Slidell. Most of us will be back and we will be together again. I am thankful that our families are safe
and we are able to communicate with each other. We will get though this and we will be stronger for it.


Dr. Faust is the veterinarian who's office is located right behind my neighborhood. The Sonic is across the street. I'm so glad she wrote that last paragraph. Hang in there everyone.

No comments: