Thursday, September 22, 2005

Need Some Prayers

My poor little pug dog was behaving strangely yesterday. I finally realized that he could not see -- at all. His vision has always been a little impaired because he is mostly blind in one eye, but now he has suddenly lost the vision in his only good eye. He somehow scratched the eye surface and an infection quickly set in and clouded his whole eyeball. I took him immediately to the vet and he is on oral and topical antibiotics and a pain killer. He is very distressed and kept scratching at it with his paw. He has to wear the plastic collar to keep from injuring it further. This morning it looks even worse to me, and is developing into a corneal ulcer. The vet says it's possible to regain his vision, but it's a slim chance. Right now he has a good chance of needing the whole eyeball removed if we can't stop the infection. He's a good boy and needs some prayers.

Also needing prayers are the folks in Texas about to get hit by Hurricane Rita. I hope my friend Jimmie is getting out of there. People here in Slidell are already starting to panic about the storm. There is a run on gasoline again, and people were yelling at each other in the gas station this morning. Lots of folks ere also filling up gas cans too. We have decided that it is a bad idea to store or travel with full gas cans and if we have to evacuate again, we will bring our EMPTY cans with us. I am also REALLY hoping the blue roof guys get here to install our tarp before the rain comes. It is already getting a little bit windy outside. One way or another we're going to get some more rain soon. Many people here in Slidell are evacuating now anyway because their housing situation is so unstable, especially those camping out in tents and RV's, although many of those are building contractors I suspect.

Oh, our insurance adjustor called us yesterday and says he has to reschedule, and that he will call us next week. Apparently he had to go home for an emergency -- he lives in Houston and had to get his family out before Rita gets there. I wished him good luck. He needs some prayers too. I hope his home and family are safe so that he can get back here to help us folks in Slidell as soon as possible.

I went to the grocery store this morning. The kids thought pizza for dinner would be good. I literally bought the very last frozen pizza in the whole store. There is plenty of other food available, but it's just so strange to not be able to walk into a huge grocery store and buy what you want. Apparently they are in need of employees too from the "help wanted" sign on the door. Many of the businesses around here are looking for workers.

My friend Mike who was here to gut his house left today to head back to his family in Texas. They are in the Fort Worth area, and he needs some prayers for a safe journey. The highways in Texas are jammed right now.

Everything is an emergency around here all the time. It's really getting to be exhausting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog since you put it up and today, the pic of your Pug caught my eye since I am an owner of 5 Pugs!

I am happy that things are slowly returning to something resembling normal for you and the others in your neighborhood. You are a good writer and have a great outlook on things.

Keep your chin up and I wish you and your family a speedy recovery - and your little dog, too!

Anonymous said...

My very sincerest prayers to your friends and loved ones preparing for Rita and still recovering from Katrina.

May your pug recover quickly and regain his vision! My pug, Piper, and I hope he's good as new in no time at all. Poor fella!

Hang in there and keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

Hey La,
I hope your puppy gets better. My old dog is blind and doing well, so it is possible to do okay even being blind. We have to watch in certain situations but he is okay. I will keep your poor pup in my prayers. Take care
B~