Thursday, September 15, 2005

The New Normal

It's kind of shocking when you first get back to town and see the changed landscape, but after my third day at home, I think I am becoming accustomed to all the destruction, or maybe I'm just feeling like everything really will be ok. I could barely believe my eyes when I first got home a couple days ago. The shock and stress of it was overwhelming. But now, either things are really starting to get cleaned up and back in order very quickly, or I'm just getting used to it all.

The sea of blue roofs from the Army Corp of Engineers is becoming normal looking. The ever-growing piles of debris that are along the roadsides is no longer a shock. Sadness at the sight of the graveyard of fallen trees is being replaced with relief as they are slowly being cut up and cleared away. The overall stench in the air seems to have either diminished, or again I'm just used to it now. It doesn't feel weird anymore to use the jugs of bottled water for cooking or to brush my teeth. I guess it's all just a new sense of "normal".

FYI, one neighbor got sick from drinking the tap water last week after they returned. He accidentally drank a glass of it while taking some medicine. He is still fighting the effects but is improving.

Hubby and I have been working on our insurance claim. We have an appointment with our adjustor who is coming out to the house next week. Our blue roof might already be installed by then. We've been reading some sad stories in our paper about people in the area who are having trouble because their flood insurance coverage is limited and their homeowners won't make up the difference.

We got mail! It's slow, but it's coming. The mail we got was over two weeks old, but it arrived. Hooray! We are now getting our paper again too, even though it's just a few pages. We are starting to feel connected again. Things really are starting to feel ok. A year from now, normal really will be normal normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just having a glass of wine while surfing and thought of you. I check this every day . . . . keep on knowing that you & all of yours are in our prayers every day.

Carol and the Brood

P.S. Did I ever tell you that my little Paige made me show her where New Orleans and Slidell are located on her little US map??? You were still at your sis' at the time, so I was able to show her how far away you were from the storm and that "Mommy's dear friend is safe." So I raise my glass to your sis as well!