Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Not So Lovely Rita

I don't have much to say about the poor folks in Texas with the approaching storm, Rita, except this: "Get out!" If they call for your area to evacuate, then just do it. Don't evaluate it or try to "decide" if you can ride it out. It's not worth the risk. It's just not worth it.

Oh, and one more tiny bit of advice, take some empty gas cans with you if you have any! You may need them to get back home again. And don't forget your pet's vaccination records. You will have many more options if you have them with you. Oh, and take the milk in your fridge with you or just pour it out! It's only a $4 gallon of milk and it could save you HOURS of work later if you just get rid of it now. And if you are going to stay with family, then take as much out of your freezer as you can and just bring it with you and put it in your family's freezer. You'll need something to eat while you are there anyway.

Good luck Texans. :-(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have spent the day getting the yard "ready" for Rita...I still don't know if we will leave...we have a son in New Braunfels Tx so we may make a trip for the weekend..(I hope it only lasts for the weekend!!)I hate this and trust me I know now how you felt..
thanks for all the great advice..I had not thought of taking the dog's shot records..I think I have everything else I will need..take care of your group and I will check in later..I have so enjoyed your blog, I feel like we are freinds though we have never met..and now we have something I never dreamed I would have in commom with anyone..take care...Jimmie

Laurel said...

Good Luck Jimmie! I hope you stay safe and sound. I'll be watching and hoping you're ok.

MommyLydia said...

I was in Houston for Alicia (well, right outside. Northwest Park, just south of Beltway 8, near 1960)

My dad says that our electricity went out, so we took all the food in the freezer over to a friend's whose electricity did not go out and had a "Hurricane Party" -- the meat was going to go bad anyway.

Laurel said...

Ruth, ...and when that meat goes bad, it's really REALLY BAD!! Argh!!

Anonymous said...

Laurel
I had never read any blogs until yours someone sent me the link because it was so good. Now I am addicted. You and your family have been in my prayers. I feel like I have known you for years. If ever needed you are more than welcome in Birmingham. Its a zoo with 3 children(13,7,19 mo) but with Bailey its all ok. Please keep posting and if you change please let me know how to keep up with the new blog. Our prayers are with all of you including the dog.