Friday, September 02, 2005

What To Do Next

We spent the morning trying to figure out what to do next. We do not know if Hubby got paid on Monday and cannot get any money out of our bank right now even if he did. Tulane has said it's closed for the rest of the semester (duh!). We don't know if they plan to continue paying the faculty. My web business still pays, but I can't get at that account either! And with the disaster, my website traffic came to a screeching halt. I'm sure it will pick up again in about a week though when people in the rest of the country are tired of watching the news (sad but true).

We do have credit cards and some cash though so we're not destitute. Some friends of mine wanted to help and are sending some gift cards to Walmart for groceries and school supplies.

We are trying to figure out what to do until we can return. We cannot go home for a long time. I really want to stay here with my Sis, but it's a little crowded and I hate putting her out like this. We have many other options (thank you family and friends!!). Having my sisters near me is very comforting and reasuring right now (my other sister is here too, she lives across town). I need my family around me. My sister's husband is the greatest putting up with all of us like this, especially with only one bathroom in the house. Best part about staying here is there is room for the dogs AND they have high speed internet access! YES! It's also not far from home.


My uncle reminded me today that "It's not the end of the world for you or the worst thing that could happen to you. Now, if you'd lost one of your children, THAT would be the worst thing." He is so right. Thanks for reminding me U.B. He understands that I occasionally some of that Irish family tendency to fly off the handle in a crisis. My family is the greatest one in the world though -- they always rally support for each other. The Greatest. I love you all.

We are still working on a plan to go back to Slidell on Sunday for a few hours to empty the freezer, the fridge, secure the house, survey the damage, tarp any roof leaks, and get what we need for the next couple of months. We have hardly anything with us, since we only packed for a three day trip! We are being allowed back in, but they do not want us to stay. I've heard from several people who have gone back so far.

At least we still have a home left to go back to. We are really lucky in that sense. Some parts of our little town were literally destroyed. Here is a a CBS news report on the devastation in Slidell. My insurance agent's house is featured in the video and he is being interviewed. The town looks pretty bad, but from all the emails I've been getting from some members of my church, the neighborhoods near mine are nothing like the devastation shown in this video.

I also got the following from one of the members of our homeowner's association today:
I was in Meadow Lake today. Mostly roof damage with siding missing from a few houses. Some houses show no damage. There is some running water but very little water pressure. I had to tarp holes in my roof where my ridge cap once called home. I lost all my back yard fence as did most houses. A few people rode out the storm and faired well but shaken. There are some families that are moving back into their houses and roughing it. No phone no lights very little water. I could have been much worse.


Another person wrote that people in some of the neighborhoods have put big signs on their houses that say, "Looters will be shot!". ....and I have no doubt that they really mean it!

Everything is going to be fine -- just slightly inconvenient for a while.

No comments: