Thursday, September 22, 2005

Grave Tragedy

About a mile down the street from my youngest daughter's school is a small cemetery that was damaged badly by the storm. Several of the above-ground tombs were displaced by the tidal surge. In fact, three of the tombs are across the street from the cemetery in the ditch (see photo of one of them). Power lines and downed trees are all around them.

What's worse is that over in the cemetery is a coffin that is completely out of its tomb. I made some phone calls to report it. First I called the environmental control office, who told me to call the sheriff's office, who told me to call the coroner's office. So I called the coroner's office and talked to their answering service, and I was told that they are already aware of it. I guess having a coffin sitting out in the open for over three weeks is not a problem for them.

I found an article about the family who owns many of the plots, so I guess they are aware of it, but from the looks of it, they probably don't have the money to fix this.

I am hoping that by posting this photo of one of the tombs in the ditch, it will get someone's attention and light a fire under the right butt at the coroner's office (or wherever) to at least come pick up the coffin until it can be reinterred. The displaced tombs are one matter, especially with the power lines around them, because at least they are still sealed. But, the coffin out in the open after three weeks just seems so wrong.

I should give them the benefit of the doubt though since I don't know the condition of the coroner's office building or equipment, and they may not have any of their employees available either since the may be homeless or living somewhere else now. They are aware, so hopefully they have a plan. Hopefully they are doing everything they can. At least I tried.

No comments: