Monday, September 12, 2005

Hitting The Road

I had nightmares all night last night about my house flooding with me in it, and about evacuating over and over again to avoid approaching danger of various kinds. I think I'm a little bit stressed about returning home.

My parents have hurricane Ophelia knocking at their door right now in the Carolinas. They live not far from where this story on CNN is set. And to think I could be there right now for round two of all this fun. Hang in there Mom and Dad! I know it's only a catagory 1 storm, but get out if they tell you to leave. Do not mess around even if you do have a house made with cement walls. Come down and stay with us in Louisiana if you have to evacuate. :-)

I just finished my morning coffee and we are going to start loading the car and the minivan. I know the dogs will be happy to get back to their own yard although we will have to come up with some other way to fence them temporarily. When we get home, I may not have Internet access for a while, but I will post again as soon as I do. My sis wants me to make sure to give her the play by play on the outcome of our refridgerator and freezer. We won't have mail service for a while either, although we can drive over to one of our post offices to pick up mail that gets through. Our phone seems to work at the house most of the time, so we'll be available that way at least.

Time to hit the road and head home. I guess I'm not a refugee anymore.

6 comments:

Devra said...

I tried to find that sludge that you call coffee. The one that looks like it comes in a bottle used for oiling our gianormous shredder. I could not find the stuff. I was going to send it to you. So I am happy you are going home where you will be able to buy your own sludge. At least coffee sludge is still for sale even if alcohol is not.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and your family..what an ordeal...I know there must be lots of work ahead but you will feel so much better in your own surroundings..God bless you and your family..I feel like I know you and your little tribe...Good Luck Always..Jimmie

Laurel said...

Thanks Jimmie. You're so sweet. I really appreciate your care and concern.

Laurel said...

Devra, My favorite coffee sludge is probably not available here either. It is (was) made in New Orleans. Maybe I'll get lucky and the factory is somewhere else. Argh! I am going to just go to Starbucks as soon as they open!

Anonymous said...

Good luck. I am so glad that you are heading home. I hope to visit in New Orleans soon. Take good care of that wonderful family and call if you need anything.
love kathy

Anonymous said...

Laurel - It's Kathy N. from FEMALE in Fort Collins. I'm glad you're all safe.

I searched on the web for your name, and knew it was you when I saw "Minivan Moms".

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Express mail more Barbies?