Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ramblings of a Refugee

I had another afternoon nervous breakdown today where I sobbed all over the phone -- this time to a friend instead of a relative. I tried to avoid it by staying away from the tv all day today because I just couldn't watch any more. However, I just couldn't help but click over for a quick peek while I was on the computer. I was secretly hoping that victims were finally getting help and things were improving. I was wrong.

It was too much to think about. I shut the door and cried as quietly as I could while the kids played in the other room. They are already upset enough. My 9 year-old daughter came to me late last night in tears and asked me, "What we will do if Daddy's job is gone forever and if he can't find another one ever?" I carefully reassured her that no matter what happens, our family will be fine, and we will always take care of her. I told her that it's her job to just be a kid and our job to worry about taking care of everyone. ....My poor poor baby. When I see them smiling and having fun, it's so easy to forget how much stress they also feel as a result of our displacement.

Later, we drove over to the home of my old college friend, Kathy, who happens to live here in Nashville. We had dinner with her and her two darling daughters and felt almost like normal people for a few hours. Kathy had a large tree down in her front yard that was a victim of Katrina when it rolled through Tennessee on Tuesday as a tropical storm (or whatever it was by that point). The tree was fairly large and was blocking the street. You can see what's left of it in the photo. Those are Kathy's kids in the background behind my three darlings, and our minivan in her driveway.

Kathy told us that she simply called the proper authorities the next day and they arrived in 40 minutes to remove most of it. City workers would only remove the part that blocked the street, so they left the rest. Still, I was impressed with what a civilized society can do. It may likely be the only tree down in the city, and there it was waiting for us to greet it. So there you have it folks: Storm damage as far north as Nashville, TN.


As relieved as I am to hear that our house is probably ok, I am dreading the trip back to Louisiana. With no water or power, we won't be staying long. Part of me still wants to be in denial over all of this. We may try to go this weekend sometime to secure the place and get some things we need for an "extended vacation". Do you think I should call and cancel our newspaper delivery?

My other sister is going to keep the kids at her apartment while we go, and she found a kennel that will take care of the dogs for a few days, no charge. I am very grateful to the Hillcrest Kennel for this offer.

Next time I evacuate, I will remember to bring the dog's shot records. A couple of places we tried wouldn't take them without proof of their current vacines. It's not like I can call the vet to get it. The only proof I have is my checkbook where I recorded the check I wrote to our vet this past June for their annual boosters.


Sometime soon we have to come up with our plan for what to do for the next couple of months. We need to decide where to hang out and put the kids in school. We have had numerous offers from many friends and relatives. We are forever grateful to all of you. One of you may be the lucky "winner" and have us messing up your bathroom for as long as it takes to get our home livable again. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

La, come to Dallas in Sept...I have room for you and your kids can enroll in our elem school - they took two families yesterday from N.O.! They have lifted all class size restrictions in TX for that reason. Hang in there and keep that sense of humor that we all love about you!!
Barri

Anonymous said...

Hi La,
Come to Chicago. I have more then enough room for you and we have not had rain in months.... feel free to come!!
Barb

Devra said...

Meeeeee! Pick meeeeeee! Meeeeeeee! pick meeeeeeee!

Devra